Head of Investor Relations
What we do
Carbon Equity is the world’s first platform for Alternative Climate Investments. Through the Carbon Equity platform, we offer small-ticket access to the world’s leading climate investment funds. We focus on multiple asset classes including venture capital, private equity, private debt and real assets.
Carbon Equity offers the opportunity to maximize the climate impact of one’s investible savings. Individuals invest alongside the world’s best climate investors, benefiting from venture-type returns while mitigating financial risk through a high degree of diversification.
Why we do what we do
At Carbon Equity, we believe there is no greater cause within our lifetime than fighting climate change.
This fight requires action at every possible level — government regulation, taxation, consumer and corporate behavior, paradigm shifts, cultural shifts and massive investments into technology, just to name a few. Carbon Equity focuses on the latter.
To change consumer and corporate behavior at scale, we need to build equally good alternatives through increased climate technology investments. Think about Oatly, for example. By offering an equally good alternative to cow milk, Oatly has swayed millions of people to oat milk🥛. Now that is moving the needle!
So why did we decide to focus on investing rather than building the next Oatly ourselves? Because, like it or not, money still makes the world go round — capital ultimately decides resource allocation.
This led us to ask ourselves the question: How can we best leverage capital to mitigate climate change?
We came upon an interesting discovery. The vast majority of innovation needed to fight climate change is happening in private markets, where early-stage tech companies are being funded by venture capitalists. At the same time, the majority of mature companies transitioning from fossil fuel-dependent resources and business models to net-zero emissions are also private. This means that the majority of climate innovation, and therefore value creation, are in private markets.
However, to date, private market investing has only been accessible to institutional investors and ultra-high net worth individuals, which makes private markets untouchable to people like you and me (non-professional or retail investors). This excludes you and me from the massive value creation opportunity in private markets and it leaves a huge amount of capital away from climate tech.
Carbon Equity is deadset on fixing this broken system.
The planet needs every dollar out there to transition towards a net-zero economy, and we can build a more equitable economic society while doing so.
We invite you to join us on our mission impossible. As the head of business development, you are directly responsible for growing the business of Carbon Equity. You do so through three key strategies: i) outbound outreach to prospective investors ii) closing third party distribution partnerships and iii) liaising with the marketing team on strategies to drive inbound lead generation through content, referral, paid advertising, etc.
Role and responsibilities
Business development, account management and outreach
- You will build and maintain a network of prospective outbound customers
- You will prospect and build relationships with prospective third party distribution partners
- You will be the first point of contact for key account customers
Co-development of the Carbon Equity commercial strategy
- Together with the investment and marketing team, you will develop new product propositions
- Together with the CEO/CCO, you will develop the commercial/distribution strategy of Carbon Equity
Coordination with other teams on developing customer centric products, campaigns and experiences
- You will work together with the marketing team on commercial strategy, planning and execution of any commercial campaigns
- You will work together with the product team on developing our understanding of the ideal customer profile and designing an ideal user experience for customers
- You will work together with the investment team on developing appealing investment product propositions for our customers
- You have at least 3 years of relevant experience with business development. Experience selling complex or financial products is desired
- You seek to develop a deep understanding of the products that you sell
- You build trust with prospective customers as a result of being honest, authentic and having a legitimate interest in the wellbeing of your prospective customers
- You deeply care about your (prospective) customers and as a result, are attentive and responsive to customer needs
- You seek to deliver the highest standard of customer service. You take pleasure in surprising and/or delighting your customers
- You are diligent and reliable. You always deliver on your promises.
- You communicate effectively and engagingly. You explain complex concepts in a simple way, bringing people with you in your conversations.
- You are intrinsically motivated. Talking to (prospective) customers energizes and excites you.
- You find ways. You are entrepreneurial and creative in finding new avenues to achieve your results.
What’s in store for you
Let’s be honest, joining a startup in our early stage has pros and cons. The con is that you have to figure out a lot of shit yourself, you will not seamlessly fit into a well-oiled machine. You kind of have to build the machine yourself. That then of course is the big pro. You get to build the machine yourself 🧰🛠️. Now that is impact. The impact you will have in building a super early stage startup will never be greater. You get to join all internal and external discussions, you get to learn by doing and you get to set the rules and build the groundwork for a future Unicorn 🦄 or Zebra 🦓 or … well you get to decide just how successful we will be and how much impact we will have.
Who’s already aboard the rocketship 🚀
- Jacqueline is the mother of all ideas. Too many, if you ask me 😎. She is also a skilled storyteller which helps bring home the bacon (as in investment dollars, customers and LinkedIn likes). Jacqueline founded and built several companies before, including De Kleine Consultant, Lamudi (a Rocket Internet real estate marketplace in Southeast Asia) and TrueMoney (a Fintech company in Southeast Asia). She also worked several years in Private Equity, most recently as a partner at Venture Capital firm Peak Capital.
- Lara more or less single-handed built the healthcare investing empire of Philips with almost a billion dollars under management. Lara is responsible for anything investing strategy and all things regulatory and operations. She is the undisputed queen of execution.
- Jeff is our very own master of product. Jeff has a degree in Environment and Resource Management (now these are the skills the world needs). He spent a couple of years with VandeBron and most recently led Marketing for Ecochain, one of the leaders in the European footprinting industry. Jeff loves to dig deep into what makes our target customers move.
- Liza is our in-house Einstein/chief scientist/and master of Impact. Liza personally safeguards that anything we do helps us meet our mission of moving the needle on climate change. She spent several years with McKinsey primarily working on energy transition and sustainability, she worked with an awesome initiative called Follow This and she supports the city of Amsterdam on Climate Strategy.
- Tim is the kind of internet entrepreneur who was hacking away in high school and started his first business before the age of 18. Tim has an MSc in Artificial Intelligence and was a founder and CTO to SmartPR, Nouncy and several other tech startups. Tim is the master of the MVP and will at every bend in the road ask what are we building for who and why. First think, then build.
- Wiebe has a black belt in fund investing. Having spent over 11 years with AlpInvest (the fund investing arm of The Carlyle Group) and five years of JP Morgan in London, he is a private equity veteran.
- Carolina is our Peruvian Swiss investment analyst rockstar. She recently graduated magna cum laude from her Bachelor’s degree and has been a rising star at Carbon Equity ever since.
- Michael – joins us after driving copy and content at MessageBird. Made in the USA, former aspiring radio host, and former creative agency copywriter, Michael brings a whole lot of new energy and creative inspiration to the Carbon Equity team.
- Bas is our latest investing superstar. He survived over six years of training at AlpInvest and is now taking the wheel on the Carbon Equity investing team. Bas brings a wealth of experience in fund selection and a strong network. We also leverage his commercial mindset to keep the investment dollars flowing in.
- Eddie, a self-crowned king of memes and interesting jokes 👀, Alex our new legal whizz, Bas student entrepreneur and sustainability advocate, help us build the business as interns and working students.
Our selection procedure
Apply by emailing your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
When you are invited, we’ll first have an informal chat to introduce Carbon Equity, the vacancy and get to know you.
During the selection procedure, our communications will be transparent, fast and straightforward. We might ask you to finish a case or provide advice on a current business challenge. This will be communicated beforehand.